Easy 9-Day Trip to Rome, Orvieto, Amalfi Coast
Trevi Fountain (top), Mt Vesuvius from the train from Naples, Sorrento and Positano (bottom)
My travel partners and I usually cover a lot of ground via the European trains because we have a limited amount of travel time. I've never rented a car to venture out...but it does take some planning in advance. I'm sharing this plan that covers a lot of sites in less than 9 days.
Rome and the Amalfi Coast
Please see my individual post links provided for the specific
details and photos about each of the locations.
- Arrive early in the morning in Rome. Airlines usually offer more cheaper flights or require less airline miles to fly into Rome.
- Stay two nights near the Termini train station.
- Walk to the nearest HOP on HOP off BUS for the afternoon and see the main sites (its plenty of time if you've been there before or not)
- The next morning head out to Orvieto an hour away on the train. This is a scenic hilltop town.
- Walk around most of day in Orvieto and head back on the last train around 4 p.m.
- When you return to Rome that afternoon, walk or take the bus or metro to see monuments in the city.
Day 3, 4, 5 Sorrento, Pompeii, Positano... (see my details about traveling to Sorrento; Pompei/Herculaneum; Positano
- Luggage in tow, hop the train to Naples (about one hour) in the morning and change trains to go to Sorrento. Arrive early afternoon.
- Stay in Sorrento 3 nights. Hotels are close to the train station.
- Visit Pompeii, Herculaneum (Ercolano)
- Positano on the Amalfi Coast. Note: No train to Positano.
- One extra day to shop or see Ravello or Amalfi.
Day 6, 7 Capri (see my details and photos here and here)
- Off to Capri with luggage via the ferry boat in the morning.
- Stay two nights in town near the main square. Anywhere is easy to reach via the funicular or by walking.
- Walk around to see the sites, boat around the island and take a bus to Anacapri. This will cover the whole island.
- Take the ferry to Naples to go back to Rome in the morning.
- Take the train from Naples to Rome.
- One last evening in Rome...walk to the ruins or use the metro to get around the city.
- Enjoy a great last dinner.
Please contact me if you need more information. Be sure to read my other links.